2016 ANNUAL REPORT
Accreditations & Honors
NorthBay received a second “Blue Distinction Center” designation from Blue Cross/Blue Shield in 2016, this time for maternity care.
NorthBay has already received this designation for cardiac care.
Blue Distinction is a national program recognizing health care facilities that demonstrate expertise in delivering specialty quality care — safely and effectively. The program helps consumers find quality care for their health care needs and also encourages health care professionals to improve the overall quality and delivery of health care.
NorthBay Medical Center received its second American College of Cardiology's Gold Performance Achievement Award in 2016.
The Fairfield hospital has consistently followed the treatment guidelines in the ACTION Registry Get with the Guidelines for 36 consecutive quarters and met a performance standard of 90 percent for specific measures.
The award recognizes NorthBay Medical Center's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients. It also acknowledges that the hospital has reached an aggressive goal of treating these patients to standards outlined by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association clinical guidelines and recommendations.
Third Star for Veterans Care
NorthBay Hospice earned its third star in the four-star “We Honor Veterans” program in 2016.
The program is designed to help NorthBay Hospice improve its ability to serve our community's veterans and their families, and to ensure veterans have access to quality end-of-life care.
NorthBay's We Honor Veterans program is a partnership with the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, in collaboration with the Department of Veteran Affairs.
NorthBay Hospice launched the program in the fall of 2015.
Health at Home Shines
NorthBay Health at Home and Hospice earned top billing in 2016 — five stars for patient satisfaction — on the official U.S. government site for Medicare. The five-star rating resulted from the Home Health Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers & Systems Survey, administered by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMMS).
NorthBay Health at Home is the only home health agency in Solano County to receive five stars. The score is calculated using each home health agency's results on five topics.
Service Club Salutes Trio
Three NorthBay Healthcare employees were honored during the Soroptimist International of Vacaville Live Your Dream Awards Banquet.
Jane Hilliard, director of Volunteer Services, took home the coveted Ruby Award, which honors a woman from the community who has worked to make the world a better place for women and girls.
Katie Lydon, R.N., director of Womens and Children's Services, was the featured speaker of the evening, and challenged the audience to make a difference, every encounter, every time.
Diane Barney, director of Public Relations, and also a member of the Soroptimist club, was presented with the club's Founder Region Fellowship pin, and $1,000 was donated in her name to a program that provides scholarships for women in the fifth year of their master's degree programs.
Soroptimists donated $1,000 in Hilliard's name to the NorthBay Healthcare Foundation to be used for scholarships for women seeking careers in health care.
Nurses Earn Scholarships
Four NorthBay Healthcare nurses were awarded inaugural scholarships from NorthBay Healthcare and Travis Credit Union during a White Coat Ceremony in January at Touro University California on Mare Island.
Four $5,000 scholarships were presented to Hilda Castro, R.N., Michelle Kahrimanian, R.N., Marianne Neil, R.N., and Brad Vasconcelles, R.N.
The awards were presented by NorthBay Healthcare CEO and President Gary Passama and Travis Credit Union CEO Barry Nelson. In all, 33 students participated in the ceremony, which is a symbolic rite of passage welcoming students into the medical profession. Of those, 18 were NorthBay employees.
Taking Center Stage
The Vaca Arts Society recognized Colleen Knight in 2016 for the lengthy list of community projects in which she has lent her hand, her time and her connections.
Knight, program coordinator for NorthBay Healthcare Foundation, received the Society's 2016 Special Award during the organization's annual Salute to the Stars event.
In presenting the award, Emma Green, Vaca Arts Society president, acknowledged Knight's service to many local organizations, including the Rotary Club of Fairfield-Suisun, which named her “Rotarian of the Year” in 2007, and the Rotary Club of Cordelia, Meals on Wheels and the Vacaville Museum.
Joint Replacement Program Fully Re-certified
The NorthBay Joint Replacement Program earned full accreditation for re-certification following a survey by The Joint Commission (TJC) in 2016.
The surveyor was on-site for one day, observing staff and interviewing patients, said Cynthia Giaquinto, program manager.
“She was impressed with the very engaged medical staff and excellent coordination of medical teams, effective communication between team members, the great patient satisfaction scores and our use of evidence-based clinical practice decision making,” Cynthia explained. “The surveyor suggested we submit our celebration meal, served at the end of the patient stay, to the TJC Leading Practice Library,” Cynthia added.
The hip and knee joint replacement program earned its first certification two years ago.
Accreditations, Certifications and Verifications:
- The Joint Commission – NorthBay Medical Center and NorthBay VacaValley Hospital
- The Joint Commission – Home Care Accreditation Program - NorthBay Health at Home
- The Joint Commission – Neurosurgery Services
- The Joint Commission – Pathology and Clinical Laboratory Accreditation Program – NorthBay Medical Center and NorthBay VacaValley Hospital Clinical Laboratories
- The Joint Commission – NorthBay Joint Replacement Program
- The Joint Commission – Primary Stroke Center – NorthBay Medical Center and VacaValley Hospital
- American Nurses Credentialing Center – Magnet Recognized
- American College of Surgeons – Level II Trauma Verification
- World Health Organization and U.N. Children’s Fund – Baby-Friendly Hospital Designation
- Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care – NorthBay Medical Center – Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI
- American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer – NorthBay Cancer Center
- American College of Cardiology– NorthBay Medical Center – Gold Performance Award
- American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) – The Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) – The Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation – NorthBay Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- We Honor Veterans – Level Three Partner
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission – Cardiology Department Echocardiography Accreditation
- ACTION Registry®-GWTG™ – Gold Performance Achievement Award – NorthBay Medical Center